Wednesday 13 June 2012

The photograph as contemporary art - If this is art

This first category of photographic expression couldn't be further from how I create my own images. Directing an event especially for the camera isn't something that I had considered. Having said that I absolutely love the technique when applied to candid photography.

The 'Heads' images of Philip-Lorca diCorcia are particularly interesting. Photographing people on the street without them being aware carries a great deal of impact.



This woman is clearly deep in thought but I find it hard to determine if she is unhappy or just absorbed in her thoughts or what she's looking at. Where are people's minds when they are on the street?

 

 

I was also fascinated by the activity of Sophie Calle. Following a random stranger through the streets of Venice to document his movements without his knowledge is such an interesting thing to do. Its a thing a woman could just about get away with. A man discovered following and photographing a woman or indeed a man, would get short shrift if discovered. Art or not....

Breadman and Oleg Kulik I'll have to come back to when I get better attuned to the Art world.

Signs that say what you want them to say.... is a most interesting idea that I intend to research more. Is this art or social study. What does the act of photographing these signs add to impact. Would the signs mean as much without an image of the author?



The couple who "want World Peace" add nothing, but we have a voyeuristic need to see the face of the man the says "I am mildly insane".



And who would not want to see the Down and Out who has "got nothing" despite signing on.



 Between the words and a life history, I guess the image creates a bridge.

It takes a great leap of imagination for me to see sexual connotations of 'Everything is Connected'. I don't have the space in my head to go looking for phallic symbols in everyday objects. A spout with 2 taps can look like a penis but tights as fallopian tubes? Strikes me the work will amuse pubescent boys.

I am starting to identify the images that I find moving and inspiring and those that don't. Currently I identify with People and Landscape. I have little time for clever Still Life.

I shall revisit my skeptical views as I progress through the course :o)


No comments:

Post a Comment