Saturday 16 June 2012

Impressions Gallery

Noel Bowler - Making Space



The spaces photographed, devoid of people were surprisingly spartan. I know that these places of worship are not Mosques, but I was surprised how unkempt they appeared for places of worship.



I noticed that in a number of the images, the carpet had not been fitted along the lines of the walls. I suspected that this was because, unlike a purpose build Mosque, these building would not be orientated along the points of the compass. A Muslim friend of mine has confirmed that the carpets have been laid aligned to the East so that worshippers know in which direction Mecca is.


The photographs give an interesting insight into worship in the Islam community. If I am being completely PC I shouldn't be offended that women have separate areas in which to worship. The images however reinforce 
what for me, is an arcane practice and a demeaning rule for women. So, even outside a formal mosque, women are treated as what I consider to be second class members of the community. The conditions that the women 'enjoy' are, in all the images, inferior to the men's accomodation.


Women - Blackpits


Men - Blackpits

White walls are a recurring theme. I will discuss this with my friend and why many of rooms have a set of 3 steps and heaters. Are prayers a cold affair?

The composure of many of the images involved taking the ceiling and the floor into the corners of the frame giving the impression of looking into a box.





No comments:

Post a Comment